Know your Voice Type
Voice type is the diverse range of voices, tone and range that singers have. Some commonly known types of voices are Soprano, Tenor, Bass etc. every singer has a certain uniqueness to their voice but they also share certain similarities which helps us to classify them into certain groups.
Let’s discuss various kinds of voices.
There are three kinds of female voices and 4 kinds of male voices in the realm of classical singing. They are as follows:
- Male Voices: Countertenor, Bass, Baritone and bass comes under male voices.
- Female Voices: Mezzo Soprano, Soprano and Contralto are the female voices.
These are the broad classifications which can be used across various genres like pop, jazz etc.
DETERMINING YOUR OWN VOICE TYPE
- Vocal Range: Your vocal range is the main characteristic which helps you to determine your voice type. It is absolutely essential that you know your vocal range so that you can train with the musical notes which suits your voice. Otherwise, you can end up damaging your voice by practicing with notes which are way too high for your range.
- Vocal Tone: Different singers have different vocal tones. Some have bright and ringing voices while others have heavy and sombre voices. Being aware of your vocal tone helps you to know what kind of songs you can perform and which songs will suit to your voice. For example, people with heavy voices can perform songs that require more belting and vocal projection, whereas someone with a delicate and light voice can perform songs which are gentle and soft.
- Notice the Changes: Your voice goes through a lot of changes in tone and quality when we move from low pitches to higher notes. These changes are known as vocal register changes. You should notice these changes while singing so that you know which kind of voice type do you have. It also helps to implement certain vocal exercises which are more efficient for your voice.
These are the factors which help you to determine your voice type. You can yourself try to figure your voice type or you could get professional help. Taking voice lessons can be one such way. Your voice teacher will work towards developing your voice and sound. They generally have a lot of experience which helps them to determine your voice type and then train you. It is absolutely essential that you are aware about the type of your voice since it determines the kind of songs you will be singing and the kind of notes you will be playing with. It you are an amateur singer who is struggling to find their voice type then you should definitely join a voice lesson. It will guide you and show you the right path to walk on.