The users have been complaining of the lack of apps that can be accessed with chrome. But it seems Google is finally taking it into consideration. So now, the users will be able to access Android apps using Chromebook. Though Chrome OS already was able to run Chrome browser extensions, Chrome Apps and web apps now with the additional access of other Android apps are going to boost the platform’s value. This can surely be helpful for the mobile app development company in India.
With the android apps being introduced to Chrome OS, the compatible Chromebooks are having their approach set on Google Play Store.
So here, in this article, we will be focusing on how to use Android apps on Chromebook.
With the current update of Chromebooks, only the systems such as ASUS Chromebook Flip, Acer Chromebook R11 and Chromebook Pixel 2015 are going to get access to the Google Play Store as of now. At the same time, you are needed to own a device that runs on Chrome OS 53 or higher to be able to use Play Store.
But to use Play Store immediately on these supported devices, you must switch to Chrome OS developer channel or you will be needed to wait until the official public release.
And in case you are willing to wait for the public release, still, you cannot access the Play Store with the older versions of Chromebook.
Switch to Chrome OS Developer Channel
As mentioned earlier, you can only use the Play Store if you have switched to the Chrome OS developer channel. So, to have access, you need to go through a procedure that is not very complicated, thankfully.
As the software improvements are yet to be finalized and not completely tested, you might run into some troubles while using this. While you are switching to the Chrome OS developer channel, you will be taking part in testing some of the latest features before it goes public.
So here we are listing, how to switch to the Chrome OS developer channel.
- Switch on and unlock your Chromebook
- Click on your photo on the screen
- Then select the setting from the options.
- Select About Chrome OS at the top
- Select the option of reading More Info.
- Select Change Channel among the other options.
- Select Developer-Unstable
- Read the caution message and select Change Channel
- Now let the Chromebook reboot and your work is completed.
Enable Google Play Store
Although you are done with the procedure, the Play Store owns appear until you are enabling it on your computer.
So, here is the instruction on how you can do it.
- Switch on your Chromebook.
- Click on your photo displayed at the right-bottom of your screen.
- Select Settings from the other options.
- You will find option Android Apps. There will be an option that reads,
- Enable Android apps to run on your Chromebook. Click on the option.
- Click on Get Started on the new window.
- Go through all the terms of services and click on the Agree option.
- Now the Google Play Store will appear on your screen all set to be used.
Though this version enables you to use Android apps on your Chromebook, you always need to know that not all of them can be used right now. Also, with the apps that will run on your Chromebook now after you switch to the Chrome OS Developer Channel, you might face issues using them as of now. As this is a completely new platform for the application developers, it will take some time to run finely.
But you need not worry. Just as, the developers have excelled in all other fields, they will surely work excellently and run just fine the industry of android app development India as well as across the world.